Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Review: The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she's pretty sure they're only good for one thing -- spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother's shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes on glance for Caymen to figure out he's oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he's one of the first people who actually get her, she's smart enough to know his interest won't last. Because if there's one thing she's learned from her mother's warnings, it's that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can't find out -- she wouldn't approve. She'd much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn't been raised by money. But just when Xander's attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn't a character flaw, she finds out money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she'd ever realized. And that Xander's not the only one she should've been worried about.



Review

I started out not liking this book. After I took one look at the size of the font and the first few pages, I wanted to put it down and move on since the book seemed so... childish. Now, I know that you don't necessarily need to have to be a certain age to read any book, but I couldn't help but think that this one just didn't fit my reading level. However, at the urging of my sister, I continued on since she swore that Kasie West is an awesome author. Anyway, I'd have to say I'm glad I did. While the book wasn't the best, I did enjoy it as a light, humorous read. It was a nice break from all the serious literature I was surrounded by at the time.

The Distance Between Us is the story of Caymen Meyers meeting the uber-rich Xander Spence and falling in love with him despite her and her mother's dislike for rich people. He changes her world, and she changes his for the better. Of course, this is an insta-love story that drips cheesiness right to the core, but it somehow works for it not to cause too much eye-rolling. The characters are endearing, and the MC's sense of dry humor adds a nice touch. I found myself thoroughly enjoying the banter between the two characters. The ending felt a little rushed; more like a patched up explanation of things to give them a happily ever after, but it wasn't enough to make me completely condemn the book.

All in all, if you're in the mood for a quick, light-hearted read, this is your book.

Overall rating: 3 stars

Renée 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...